PRESENT: Rebecca and William Rolke, Bud and Betty Ann Noyes, Les and Joyce Hammond, Stan Hallinan, with a guest from Bow - Dick Stevens who is chair of the Bow Heritage Commission. Ken Swazey had been notified, apparently was unable to attend. Mert Mann, Selectmen’s representative, not present.
Meeting opened officially at 8:00 P.M. Minutes of February 28 distributed to those who had not seen them for review. Same accepted as printed.
TREASURERS REPORT: Bud reported that 250 books had been sold to date and that the Book Account has a balance of $6,322.47. Of that, $27.47 is interest. It should be noted that 4 books were given to the following: the Town Office, the Town Library, Miss Laura Tucker and the Dunbarton Elementary School. It should also be noted that there is an additional $45.00 in the Book Account, which is reserved for mailing purposes. The Committee’s individual account has a balance of $930.50 as of this date. The Committee is also a bit confused as to exactly how much money we are expected to return to the Town. Les Hammond stated he would check that out for us and let us know. At this point, Mr. Stevens added that in Bow, they receive $2000 a year from the town for their expenses, and that it might be helpful to us if we too, could seek to have an item in the Town Budget to help us.
MINUTES: It has been suggested to us by several people that we place our minutes on the Town Web Site. The Chair introduced this idea and after some discussion, Rebecca Rolke volunteered to do this. She will forward them to the Webmaster of the town.
MEETINGS: After some discussion, it was also decided that it might be helpful in drawing people to our meetings if we posted them on the Website and in the following newspapers (on a monthly basis), Bow Times, Weare Free Press, Concord Monitor and Union Leader. In addition to the date and place of the meeting, we will also include the general area of discussion to take place. Rebecca Rolke also volunteered to do this.
MEMBERSHIP OF COMMITTEE: We would like to see more people active on our Committee. Bud has asked Les and Joyce Hammond and Stan Hallinan to attend tonight. Stan would like to continue and Joyce would also, although she states that her time is very tight and she may not be able to help very much. Also, that this whole area is new to her. Those here tonight were asked to think of who else we might invite. Any one interested in being a member, we must run through the Selectmen as this is a Town Committee and each person needs to be officially sworn in.
ROBERT ROGERS HOMESITE: This Committee has received a letter from the Department of the Army, Headquarters, Special Operations Command in Fort Bragg, North Carolina signed by Charles H. Briscoe, Command Historian. In essence, it states that the erection of a New Hampshire State Historical Marker at this homesite would be a very worthy endeavor. As this site is under the jurisdiction of the Dunbarton Historical Society, we do not feel we can make any plans and would like to refer the letter to the Historical Society for review. All present talked about this and felt it would be a good idea to get both groups together and talk about the letter. Les Hammond will talk with Mert Mann and Wendy Dailey and see if they will set up a meeting of the two groups in the near future. It was also felt that Patric Keon who initiated the idea of a Homesite Marker and who is a former serviceman should be invited to this meeting also. The group asked that the Historical Awareness Committee formally reply to Charles Briscoe, letting him know that we received it and are in the exploration stage at this time.
MARTIN HOUSE: Updates were called for. Mr. Poirier has not yet set a date for taking the house down. Bud states he has not yet finished taking the interior measurements. Bill states he is having difficulty taking interior photos but plans to try once more. They all come out very dark. Rebecca is highly interested in obtaining wallpaper samples as some that are now in the house are very old. She has done some research and feels they should be salvaged if at all possible. There is also a desire to explore the cellar, if there is one. It might be helpful to have a metal detector. In this vein, there is a possibility that Donna Dunn may have one in the near future. What is needed most at the time the house comes down is a place to store boards, timbers, etc., and whatever is felt to be of historic significance. Les Hammond is willing to explore the purchase of a 40-foot storage trailer. He thinks it would cost about $900. The committee asked if he could please do this. We have some limited funds and perhaps could pay for part, but this will need an official vote of the Committee. At the same time the house is to be taken down, there is an old barn on a nearby property that will also be taken down. If there are old beams and timbers there, those could be saved also.
TOWN HEARSE SHED: The Committee voted to wholeheartedly support Donna Dunn’s effort with Lynda Burnside’s assistance to apply for grant monies for the erection of a shed.
PUTNEY HOMESITE: There has been a request to the Board of Selectmen and Conservation Commission relevant to surveying of probable Putney Homesite on the old Nassikas land. Les will bring it up at their next meeting.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:50 P.M. Next regularly scheduled meeting is April 25 at 7:45 P.M. at the Town Office. Hopefully we shall have an opportunity to talk with the Historical Society prior to then.
Betty Ann Noyes, Chair and Secretary.